[INFORMATION] Guide to Public Contracting

Charles Lockhart
GTAW Forum Name: Brett

BUREAU OF CITY CONTRACTS
LOS SANTOS CITY GOVERNMENT
OCCUPATION AVENUE 1, ALTA, LOS SANTOS, SA

LOS SANTOS CITY GOVERNMENT
e-PROCUREMENT GUIDE FOR BUSINESSES

This guidance is without prejudice to legislation that the City Council of Los Santos may enact in the future with regards to public procurement. This guidance does not commit the City of Los Santos or any of its agencies.

INTRODUCTION

When the government decides to call upon the services of a business, it is required to follow the rules and regulations of public procurement. Any B2B or even B2C business can offer its services to the government, but a government contract can only be awarded through a meticulous process in which multiple companies compete for the same contract.

There are various reasons as to why government contracts are an effective tool for the City to serve its citizens. Sometimes a government project will require a specific skill for a limited period of time and the ideal approach is to engage someone with that specific skill for that short period. Additionally, contractors come to the task without the legacy of being involved in previous decisions which allows for an approach to a particular project with a fresh independent view.

All contracts issued by the City of Los Santos are handled by the Bureau of City Contracts. The Bureau of City Contracts falls under the Department of Finance and is strictly overseen by the Mayor's office. The Bureau continuously strives to uphold values which are of paramount importance to public procurement such as effectiveness, efficiency, transparency, administrative simplification and fair competition.

QUALIFICATION AND ELIGIBILITY

In order to be eligible for a government contract a business must be officially recognized. The basic rule is that any registered business is considered a potential government contractor. In other words, businesses and/or organisations are automatically and officially accredited and qualified to bid for public procurement contracts upon registration with the Bureau of Licensing. However, your business risks being removed from the registry of eligible candidates for public procurement and therefore automatically excluded from any bidding opportunity if any of the following circumstances apply:

• Any shareholder and/or stakeholder of the bidding party has been convicted of a felony.

• The bidding party has committed an act or omission in violation of the Business Licensing Code.

• The bidding party conducts business practices with a severe disregard for corporate social responsibility.

THE FOUR STAGES OF e-PROCUREMENT

The first stage of e-procurement consists of the publication of an e-notification in which the general terms and conditions of the government contract are listed in addition to a concise summary. A broad range of information can be gathered from the e-notification such as for example the contracting entity's specific demands, the general profile of the desired contractor, rules pertaining to confidentiality and proprietary information as well as a legal framework for compensation arrangements.
Once a certain period of time has expired allowing all interested parties to take notice of the e-notification, eligible candidates for procurement will be given the opportunity to prepare a competitive tender. Tendering in this context implies the submission of a preliminary bid for a government contract to assess eligibility. The e-tendering stage is an open procedure during which anyone qualified as a candidate for public procurement may submit a full tender. This procedure allows competing companies to take note of each other. All tender offers are filed with the Bureau of City Contracts and will be publicly available for consultation to further encourage a competitive market.

The bureau has the following recommendations to take into account when participating in the e-tendering stage:

• The very first step before submitting a bid is to assess whether or not your business is up for the task. The bidding process is not to be entered into unadvisedly or lightly in an attempt to coincidentally land a big government project. You ought to be as well-informed as possible about the implications of being awarded the contract you are bidding for as failing to meet your contractual obligations will most likely result in a loss of future potential contracts. The Bureau of City Contracts will always assess the past performance of your business on contracts, so be certain to apply only for those projects that will be manageable for your business. Going forth on the aforementioned it speaks for itself that you are supposed to attentively read what information is requested. A tender offer with missing information will more likely be disregarded without further consideration by the handling procurement manager.

• As required by the bidding form - which can be found below - the (e)valuation of your offer will to a large extent revolve around the statement of capability. A capability statement includes company information, a brief overview of your business' history as well as its products and services, short biographies of key employees, any information regarding your licensing status, an extensive list of your external business partners, your financial capabilities as well as a list of your clients.

• Try to make your bid as competitive as possible by addressing each requirement in the e-notification. However, do keep in mind that it is highly unlikely that a particular bid will be a "one-size-fits-all". It is more important to convey a realistic approach than it is to portray an idealistic and impractical vision. Researching prior winning bids can be of great help to making your bid more competitive.

• Spend the time necessary for creating workable price estimates. Your company's pricing strategy must not only be attractive to the contracting entity, in this instance the City of Los Santos, but it must also cover your expenses to turn a profit. Mapping out the pricing strategy of a market leader can be a valuable source of information to compile your own rates.
In the event multiple applicants have qualified as a plausible candidate for procurement in light of a particular government contract, a final bid must be filed with the Bureau of City Contracts under seal. Only pre-selected candidates from the e-tendering stage may submit a final tender in this stage. It is imperative to note that in this stage the final tender offer cannot be disclosed to any third party under any circumstances, no information in relation to the final bid may be shared with competing companies and the public. In evaluating the final bid the main focus of procurement management will be directed at the company's technical capabilities, professional integrity and financial strength. After thorough consideration by the City's procurement manager the result shall be announced in the fourth and final stage, namely the e-awarding stage.
In light of a transparent public procurement policy the Bureau of City Contracts shall publicly announce all winning bids. Afterwards the procurement manager in charge of the contract at hand will reach out to and sit down with the awarded contractor to further discuss and finalize the practical terms and conditions of the agreement. Key employees listed on the bidding application must also participate in a comprehensive workshop explaining the workings of the City's e-Procurement Tool.

FEEDBACK ON REJECTED CONTRACT BIDS

The Bureau of City Contracts invites any rejected candidate for procurement to receive feedback on their tender offer. Taking on board the lessons from a past rejection may increase the chances of your business winning a future government contract. Irrespective of our willingness to offer everyone a full debriefing, this occasion is meant to be a teaching moment and not an opportunity to put yourself on the defensive.

CONTRACT BIDDING FORM

Below you can find a template of a bidding form which was carefully designed to guide you through the bidding process. When submitting the form, please make sure that you submit the form in the right contract section and that the title corresponds with the following format:

Code: Select all

[e-PROCUREMENT][#2019-ID] Name of Business

[e-PROCUREMENT][#2019-001] The Vanilla Unicorn

[color=#5597D0][right][u][size=80]BUREAU OF CITY CONTRACTS
DEPARTMENT OF FINANCE
OCCUPATION AVENUE 1, ALTA, LOS SANTOS, SA[/size][/u][/right][/color][hr][/hr]
[br][/br]
[center][img]https://i.imgur.com/G9QefZk.png[/img][/center]

[br][/br]
[center][color=#535a6c][size=200][b]e-PROCUREMENT CITY OF LOS SANTOS[/b][/size][/color]
[hr][/hr][size=140][color=#535a6c]GOVERNMENT CONTRACT BIDDING FORM[/color][/size][/center][hr][/hr]
[br][/br]

[accordionfixed=1; I. DETAILS OF CONTRACT UP FOR BIDDING]
[b][u]1.1[/u] Government Contract ID : [/b] 2020-#XXX[/accordionfixed]

[accordionfixed=2; II. ABOUT THE TENDERING PARTY]
[b][u]2.1[/u] Business Name: [/b] [hr][/hr]
ANSWER

[b][u]2.2[/u] Business Account ID: [/b][hr][/hr]
ANSWER

[b][u]2.2.1[/u] [/b]I hereby confirm that the information associated with my Business Account ID is up-to-date: 
[i]Mark "X" where applicable.[/i][hr][/hr]
[] Yes
[] No

[b][u]2.3[/u] Business History: [/b] [hr][/hr]
COMPREHENSIVE ANSWER 

[b][u]2.4[/u] Products & Services: [/b] [hr][/hr]
COMPREHENSIVE ANSWER 

[b][u]2.5[/u] Key Employees: [/b] [hr][/hr]
COMPREHENSIVE ANSWER

[b][u]2.6[/u] External Business Partners: [/b][hr][/hr]
 ANSWER

[b][u]2.7[/u] Business Clients: [/b] [hr][/hr]
ANSWER

[br][/br][/accordionfixed]

[accordionfixed=3; III. STATEMENT OF CAPABILITY]
[b][u]3.1[/u] Business Credentials: [/b] 
[i]Provide a summary of your work as a contractor, your past experience.[/i][hr][/hr]

COMPREHENSIVE ANSWER

[b][u]3.2[/u] Plan of Action: [/b]
[i]Explain in detail how you plan to achieve the goals set forth in the contract. We recommend addressing all requirements explicitly mentioned therein.[/i]  [hr][/hr]

COMPREHENSIVE ANSWER

[b][u]3.3[/u] Technical Capability: [/b]
[i]Demonstrate your (key) employees' skills, experience of similar work and their involvement if you were to be awarded the contract.[/i]  [hr][/hr]

COMPREHENSIVE ANSWER

[b][u]3.4[/u] Financial Bid: [/b]
[i]Provide us with the details of your pricing and any aftercare arrangements within the price.[/i]  [hr][/hr]

COMPREHENSIVE ANSWER

[b][u]3.5[/u] Competitive Analysis: [/b]
[i]Explain the benefits and value for money of your bid.[/i]  [hr][/hr]

COMPREHENSIVE ANSWER

[accordionfixed=4; IV. DECLARATION OF AGREEMENT]
[justify]I hereby declare that I have read and understand the e-Procurement guide provided to me by the Bureau of City Contracts. 

I authorize the Bureau of City Contracts and/or the City of Los Santos, to contact government agencies, past employers, educational institutions and listed references in the course of conducting an investigation into my background.

I authorize the Bureau of City Contracts and/or the City of Los Santos, to release all data gathered during the background investigation to public procurement management at the City of Los Santos for use in evaluating my government contract bidding form.

I understand and acknowledge that the information the Bureau of City Contracts and/or the City of Los Santos, gathers and provides to public procurement management may be unfavorable to my application.

In order to fully verify the identity of the tendering party for purposes of the background check, I have obtained the consent of all shareholders to disclose personal information such as their name, phone number, address and date of birth. [/justify]

[br][/br][hr][/hr]SIGNATURE
[b]First Name Last Name[/b][/accordionfixed]

[accordionfixed=5; V. STATEMENT OF TRUTH]
[justify]I hereby certify that the answers I have given are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief, and that I understand and agree to the provisions, conditions, and restrictions herein or otherwise imposed.[/justify]

[template][code][color=#5597D0][right][u][size=80]BUREAU OF CITY CONTRACTS
DEPARTMENT OF FINANCE
OCCUPATION AVENUE 1, ALTA, LOS SANTOS, SA[/size][/u][/right][/color][hr][/hr]
[br][/br]
[center][img]https://i.imgur.com/G9QefZk.png[/img][/center]

[br][/br]
[center][color=#535a6c][size=200][b]e-PROCUREMENT CITY OF LOS SANTOS[/b][/size][/color]
[hr][/hr][size=140][color=#535a6c]GOVERNMENT CONTRACT BIDDING FORM[/color][/size][/center][hr][/hr]
[br][/br]

[accordionfixed=1; I. DETAILS OF CONTRACT UP FOR BIDDING]
[b][u]1.1[/u] Government Contract ID : [/b] 2020-#XXX[/accordionfixed]

[accordionfixed=2; II. ABOUT THE TENDERING PARTY]
[b][u]2.1[/u] Business Name: [/b] [hr][/hr]
ANSWER

[b][u]2.2[/u] Business Account ID: [/b][hr][/hr]
ANSWER

[b][u]2.2.1[/u] [/b]I hereby confirm that the information associated with my Business Account ID is up-to-date: 
[i]Mark "X" where applicable.[/i][hr][/hr]
[] Yes
[] No

[b][u]2.3[/u] Business History: [/b] [hr][/hr]
COMPREHENSIVE ANSWER 

[b][u]2.4[/u] Products & Services: [/b] [hr][/hr]
COMPREHENSIVE ANSWER 

[b][u]2.5[/u] Key Employees: [/b] [hr][/hr]
COMPREHENSIVE ANSWER

[b][u]2.6[/u] External Business Partners: [/b][hr][/hr]
 ANSWER

[b][u]2.7[/u] Business Clients: [/b] [hr][/hr]
ANSWER

[accordionfixed=3; III. STATEMENT OF CAPABILITY]
[b][u]3.1[/u] Business Credentials: [/b] 
[i]Provide a summary of your work as a contractor, your past experience.[/i][hr][/hr]

COMPREHENSIVE ANSWER

[b][u]3.2[/u] Plan of Action: [/b]
[i]Explain in detail how you plan to achieve the goals set forth in the contract. We recommend addressing all requirements explicitly mentioned therein.[/i]  [hr][/hr]

COMPREHENSIVE ANSWER

[b][u]3.2[/u] Technical Capability: [/b]
[i]Demonstrate your (key) employees' skills, experience of similar work and their involvement if you were to be awarded the contract.[/i]  [hr][/hr]

COMPREHENSIVE ANSWER

[b][u]3.3[/u] Financial Bid: [/b]
[i]Provide us with the details of your pricing and any aftercare arrangements within the price.[/i]  [hr][/hr]

COMPREHENSIVE ANSWER

[b][u]3.4[/u] Competitive Analysis: [/b]
[i]Explain the benefits and value for money of your bid.[/i]  [hr][/hr]

COMPREHENSIVE ANSWER

[accordionfixed=4; IV. DECLARATION OF AGREEMENT]
[justify]I hereby declare that I have read and understand the e-Procurement guide provided to me by the Bureau of City Contracts. 

I authorize the Bureau of City Contracts and/or the City of Los Santos, to contact government agencies, past employers, educational institutions and listed references in the course of conducting an investigation into my background.

I authorize the Bureau of City Contracts and/or the City of Los Santos, to release all data gathered during the background investigation to public procurement management at the City of Los Santos for use in evaluating my government contract bidding form.

I understand and acknowledge that the information the Bureau of City Contracts and/or the City of Los Santos, gathers and provides to public procurement management may be unfavorable to my application.

In order to fully verify the identity of the tendering party for purposes of the background check, I have obtained the consent of all shareholders to disclose personal information such as their name, phone number, address and date of birth. [/justify]

[accordionfixed=5; V. STATEMENT OF TRUTH]
[justify]I hereby certify that the answers I have given are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief, and that I understand and agree to the provisions, conditions, and restrictions herein or otherwise imposed.[/justify]

Return to “Public Procurement & Logistics Section”